Obamacare Extra Enrollment Period 2015
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced today a special enrollment period for anyone who did not have health coverage in 2014 and are subject to the tax fee when they file their 2014 taxes in states. This Obamacare Extra Enrollment Period will allow those individuals and families who were unaware or didn’t understand the implications of this new requirement to enroll in 2015 health insurance coverage.
For those who were unaware or didn’t understand the implications of the fee for not enrolling in coverage, CMS will provide consumers with an opportunity to purchase health insurance coverage from March 15 to April 30, 2015. If consumers do not purchase coverage for 2015 during this Obamacare Extra Enrollment period, they may have to pay a fee when they file their 2015 income taxes.
Those eligible for this special enrollment period must meet this criteria:
- Currently are not enrolled in coverage for 2015,
- Owe the fee for not having coverage in 2014, and
- Attest that they first became aware of, or understood the implications of, the tax penalty after the end of open enrollment (February 15, 2015) in connection with preparing their 2014 taxes.
The special enrollment period announced today will begin on March 15, 2015 and end at 11:59 pm E.S.T. on April 30, 2015. The same effective date rules apply to this Obamacare Extra Enrollment Period as have in the past.
- For those that enroll on March 15th, insurance coverage will be effective on April 1st.
- For those that enroll between March 16th and April 15th , their coverage will begin on May 1st.
- For those that enroll between April 16th and April 30, coverage will be effective on June 1st.
Baring eligibility for a special enrollment period, this will be the last chance anyone has to sign up for health insurance for 2015.
If you believe you qualify for this Obamacare Extra Enrollment Period, and would like to look at your options for coverage, we can help!
Financial Security Management Agency does not charge a fee for helping someone enroll. We can help you complete the application, calculate your subsidy, and help you pick a plan that fits your needs.
Give our office a call at 330-539-1700
You can also e-mail us for more information at email@example.com